Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Josh's Journey: To my surprise...

To start my journey towards healthier living I was given a task. Not a big big task, but one that would open my eyes.  I was told to track how much I eat throughout the day and put it into a food journal.   WOW, what an eye-opening experience.  I never would have guessed how much food I was really eating.  And because I am always road, I never look at what I ate or drank throughout the day.
 
My breakfast would consist of a cup of coffee or a latte and an apple or toast, not that bad.  But then I'd walk in to one of my accounts and get something out of the deli or bakery.  My lunches would consist of celery, peanut butter, raisins, grapes and beef jerky, again, not that bad.  However, I'd get another latte before I got home.  Then, when I got home, I would snack on M&M's or some other kind of sweets while me or Kari made dinner.

  
What really got me were my dinners. I never thought my dinners were that out of control until I really looked how much I ate. For one meal I had corn on the cob, a Caesar salad and a steak.  A great balanced meal.  Except my portions were were out of whack.  2.5 servings of salad, corn on the cob covered with butter and Johnny 's seasoning and a 16 ounces of steak. Not a 4-ounce, or an 8-ounce steak, but a 16 OUNCE STEAK. That's 1 pound of meat! It blew my mind. That's when I realize just how much I really eat.

I know that I won't be able just to flip a switch and start eating less, but at least now I can make a conscience effort to watch how much I am really eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment