Sunday, November 17, 2013

Clam Chowder



My Crock Pot and I have a love/hate relationship.  I love the convenience of it but not all recipes are stellar when they come out.  A few weeks ago, I made probably the best Pot Roast I have ever had in it.  I will share that recipe soon.  Yesterday I made Clam Chowder in it.  I put it in around noon, we went to a movie and when we got back, it was done.  However, something was off.  It just didn't taste as good as when I made it on the stove top.  When I asked my husband to try it and see what was missing, he declared it tasted like Beef Stew.  WHAT?!?  We still ate it and it tasted good, I just think I was missing something and I can't put my finger on it.

Clam Chowder
1 small bag of shredded carrots
1 lb of bacon
1 cup chopped onion
6 potatoes, chopped into bite size pieces
4 cans of chopped clams
2 cans evaporated milk or 3-5 cups heavy whipping cream
Johnny's Seasoning Salt, to taste



Chop bacon and brown in dutch oven or stock pot.  Once almost done, soften onions with the bacon.  Dump out most of the bacon fat and then toss in the potatoes and carrots, just to heat them up a bit.  Open the 4 cans of clams and throw them in the pot.  Warm all the ingredients then add the milk or heavy cream.  Simmer for about an hour, until the vegetables are soft, serve and enjoy.

Crock Pot Variation:  Cook bacon and onions as directed above, but just toss everything else in and cook on low for 4-6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment