Monday, May 26, 2014

DIY Custom Kitchen Towels



I wanted to add a personal touch to a wedding gift so I made some custom kitchen towels.  I started by purchasing some plain white towels at Target (but you can buy them pretty much anywhere).  The towels I used were cheesecloth.  These worked best because it was a relatively smooth surface.  


I decided to leave the towel folded just as it was in the package for a couple of reasons: 1.) It seemed like the towel could easily be folded back the same way again once washed...no tricky folds.  2.) I waited until the day of the wedding to make these (I am the worst procrastinator EVER)...so this saved me a ton of time.  I could have wasted a TON of time deciding on the best placement and making sure it was perfectly centered.


Next I placed my stencils onto the towels.  I made the stencils using my Silhouette Cameo and contact paper.  I found contact paper to be a cheap and easy solution for making stencils (you can see mine had a fun print but that obviously isn't necessary).  I placed a piece of cardboard under the layer of towel I would be painting on...this way the paint won't leak through onto other parts of the towel.


I used Behr paint from Home Depot because this is just what I happened to have on-hand. I also used a stencil brush that can be purchased at your local craft store (I got a pack of 2 for under a dollar).


Next just dab your paint onto your stencil and be sure not to use too much paint.  I used two different colors so just make sure the first color is dry before moving onto the second color.  I generally remove my stencils before the paint is fully dry because I am too impatient.  But it is probably best to wait so you don't risk smearing...which is why this is now a set of 2 towels instead of 3.


Here are the finished products!  These were the prefect addition to the gift basket for the happy couple.  While these were a wedding gift, you can use your imagination and create great custom towels for any occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment