Monday, July 13, 2015

Weight Loss Journey: Coffee Epiphany, New Family Member and Meal Prep

When I started this journey, I immediately cut out every beverage but water and the occasional alcoholic drink.  This means I gave up my beloved coffee.  I gave up coffee because I can't drink it without cream and sugar and those can add a lot of calories.  Well, it dawned on me this week that I could add Vanilla Almond Milk.  I always have it on hand and it's only 20 calories for 1/4 of a cup.  So, I headed to Starbucks, my guiltiest of pleasures, and ordered a Venti Cold Brew Iced Coffee, black.  I had to sip a bit out, which was pretty bitter but gave me a jolt and then added in my Almond Milk.  I'm pretty sure I heard angels singing, but Miranda Lambert was also on the radio so I can't be sure.  It was glorious, delicious and my new favorite thing.  And it's only 45 calories.  Score!


My first day at the gym I decided the treadmill would be my safest bet.  I got on, situated myself and started the machine.  I started slow, at a 1 and then got it up to a 1.5.  I lasted 5 minutes.  And I was huffing after that five minutes.  Since then, I hadn't touched one.  That was almost 3 months ago, so last Tuesday I decided to give it another go.  I set my pace at 2 and was doing well, so I upped it to 2.5.  I ended up doing a total of 20 minutes, or 3/4 of a mile.  It was a real triumph for me.  After my treadmill, I got on the stationary bike and did 10 minutes, 4 of them at 90 rpms.  That 30 minute workout helped me burn 439 calories.  I did skip the gym Thursday and Friday though.  I had a really rough period this month.  I read a few places that exercising helps ease cramps and bleeding.  LIES I tell you....ALL LIES.


While perusing the inter webs, I came across an advertisement for the Kelso Longview Chamber of Commerce Color Dash.  It's a 5K event around the Three Rivers Mall that includes 4 color stations.  In no way am I ready for this kind of event but it got me thinking.  If I was going to do something like that, why not be a fun one like a color run?  Now, a 5K is just over 3 miles.  At my current pace, it would take me about 90 minutes.  My goal would be under 45 minutes.  That still is a pretty slow pace but I have about a year to work up to it.  Have any of you done a 5K or more?  How did you prepare?


We have a new addition to our Pink Elephant family.  My sister Kari had her third son on July 7th.  Leo Christopher weighed in at 10 lbs. 6 ozs. and was 22" long.  He is gorgeous, as were her other two.  I am especially excited about his birth date though.   My birthday is 5/5, Kari's is 9/9 so he fits right in the middle with 7/7.  Our friend Hollie and I threw her a Sip n' See on Saturday so family and friends could come over to the house and meet Leo without overwhelming them in the hospital.  As per usual, I made way too much food, but it was a nice relaxing afternoon with my favorite people.


After having intense period cravings, eating more than I should have and being in so much pain that I was barely able to function, I did manage to lose another 3 lbs.  I am down a total of 78, with 22 to go until my next major goal.  I have had a few people ask me how I am doing it and again I will say it is all in the mind and preparation.  I spend about an hour on Sundays prepping for the week.  This prep includes making a menu, making my shopping list and cooking anything that is needed.  This week, I didn't go shopping so I am eating out of my freezer.  I cooked up some turkey breakfast sausage for burritos and some chicken breast for salads.  Trust me, the time you spend prepping will save you three-fold during the week.  There is no, "I don't know what to make, what do you want?"  It's all laid out.  You know your schedule, if you are going to be home later one night, put something in the crock pot.  There are no excuses.  Dinner can take less than 15 minutes on most nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment