Friday, October 9, 2015

Online Shopping: Makeup from Miss A, Ipsy and Birchbox

I am at a new point in my journey where I am adding another step.  First step was to get my eating under control. √ Second was to get myself more active. √  The third step includes make up, clothes and spending a bit more attention to my appearance.  When you weigh over 500 lbs, you can either wear mumus or t-shirts.  I chose tees and stretchy jeans.  There is nothing wrong with them but I would like to be seen as more feminine.  I already curse like a sailor, I might as well look pretty while doing it.

I spend a fair amount of time at work on the internet.  I am not neglecting my job, it's just that, at times, I finish everything I need to get done with time on my hands.  I use this idle time to research anything and everything I ever wanted to know.  My first stop was to YouTube.  YouTube is a crazy mixed bag of actual information and absolute bullshit.


I found a great number of "beauty channels" dedicated to plus size fashion and make up tutorials.  In August, I dipped my toe in the water and subscribed to Ipsy.  It is $10 a month.  They send you a Glam Bag with 5 sample products to try.  My first month, above, I got a lipstick, cream blush, lip liner, night cream and shower lotion.  It just so happened to come the day of a Girl's night so I was looking pretty cute.  The liner and lipstick matched really well together and I loved the cream blush.  It gave me such a great pink glow to my cheeks.  I am not much for using creams and lotions but both of these seemed to work really well.


My September Ipsy bag was not as good for me, personally.  It also came the day of a night out, coincidentally.  I received a nail polish, face mask, eye shadow palette, eye liner and eye brush.  I used the mask last night and it really did work.  My face felt really smooth and hydrated.  Even after my shower in the morning, it still felt nice. I am not that into nail polish but I do love this shade and it is thick enough where I would only do one coat.  It also dried relatively quickly.  I was super stoked about the shadow and liner.  I love the palette colors and the liner was a gorgeous bronze color.  Unfortunately, they line was rather dry and hard to apply.


In September I also decided to sign up for BirchBox.  It's another $10 a month subscription box with 5 samples.  No bag in this one but it comes in a gorgeous box.  My first month was not a home run for me.  I have not used the small grey tube which is Dr.Brandt Pores No More Cleanser but I have used everything else.  The blue tube is Whish Shave Cream.  It had an amazing smell of blueberries.  My problem was that while shaving my legs in the shower, it got washed off really easily.  Next up was the Wilma Schumann Hydrating Collagen Eye Pads.  I have to say, while these did hydrate my under eyes, the texture was really off-putting.  It felt like I had Jell-O on my face.  Next was the Rusk Elixir Thermal Shine Mist.  Maybe it's because it is for heat damaged hair but all this did was make my hair greasy.  Finally there was a ModelCo Ultra Long-Lasting Lipstick in Stiletto.  It's a super bright red and it did last a long time.  However, the color is one I won't wear very often.  I will give BirchBox 2 more months and see if I will continue the subscription.


The final place I want to talk about is ShopMissA.  This is the ultimate Beauty Dollar Store.  Everything is just a buck.  They have make-up, tools, hair accessories, sunglasses, jewelry and other miscellaneous items.  The above photo is the tools I got.  Make-up sponges, a mirror, make0up brushes, and combs to help when I dye my hair.


They have all sorts of hair accessories.  I got 2 Yoga style headbands, a silver and a gold chain headbands, a cute gold and flower headband, a silver studded headband and a nice fabric star print headband.


I even got these 2 really nice pairs of sunglasses for a buck!!!


Here is my make-up haul.  They had such a variety!  I got 3 eye shadow palettes, a highlight crayon, a black and a silver eye liner, mascara, sharpener, blush, coconut hydrating mask and 3 different powders.  So far, everything is really nice.  I haven't disliked anything.

Finally, here is my jewelry haul.  I was really impressed with the quality of all these items.  I got a huge mix of earrings and necklaces.  Look at those black hoops.  I got 6 pair for a dollar.  It's insane.  It also was a great incentive to try something new.  With everything being a dollar, it's not a big gamble.  Also, the shipping is a flat $3.95.  You just can't beat it.

Where do you like to online shop?  What's your secret guilty pleasure?  Do you have any hidden gems?

No comments:

Post a Comment