Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Creamy Crockpot Chicken

I am in charge of dinner in our house because if I left it to my husband, we would have cereal every night.  Plus, I love to cook.  However, my least favorite part is trying to think of what to make.  Have you ever asked the people in your household what they want for dinner?  I always get, "I don't know" or "I don't care" or the ever dreadful "Food".  Pinterest has been a great help to inspires me to try new things, including this delicious looking recipe.

The original recipe can be found HERE.  I changed a few things because the first time I made this, it needed something else.  AND, I got my picky husband to agree to let me add in some peas.  He actually liked them.

Creamy Crockpot Chicken
1 packet Chicken Gravy Mix
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
2 cups Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
3-4 Chicken Breasts
1 cup frozen Peas
1/2 cup Sour Cream
Salt and Pepper to taste

Either in the Crock of your Slow Cooker or in a separate bowl, combine the gravy mix, soup, broth, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Don't add too much salt because the broth and gravy mix are already salted.  I used frozen chicken breast and just placed them in the bottom of the crock and poured my mixture over the top.  If you mix in the crock, just make sure each piece at least has a thin layer of the sauce.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

When you get home, shred the chicken.  You can do it either in the crock or on a plate and toss that back in with the peas and sour cream.

The peas just need to warm up and the sour cream just adds a nice tangy, creamy consistency.  Serve over rice, noodles or potatoes.



We really enjoyed this dish and it made for excellent leftovers for lunch the next day.  I served with egg noodles this time but the first time, we served over rice.  Both were a good option.  Mashed potatoes will be my next side.

No comments:

Post a Comment