Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Body Positivity and the Pressure to Lose Weight

My weight has been an issue my entire life.  I was always the fat kid in school.  But it never bothered me.  I was teased a bit but I knew I was a good person.  I have heard it before but "Is fat the worst thing a person can be?"  I could be a drug dealer, a murdered, a giant asshole.  Inside, I am a great friend, a good daughter and an excellent employee.  I take care of my husband, my house, my cats and do whatever I can for my family.  So why is the one thing people remember is that I am fat?

I worked hard for 18 months to improve my health and along with that, I lost weight.  My blood sugars, blood pressure, pulse, cholesterol and heart health are all fantastic.  I work out 2 to 4 days a week and have incredible amounts of energy.  So why am I looked down on because of my weight?  Why do random people feel they can come up to me and "be concerned" about me because I am fat?  They don't know me nor my story.

I'm in the best shape and healthiest of my life.  Yet, according to standards, I am an unhealthy drain on society.  I am unable to get life insurance, I am a high risk for health insurance, and an apparent drain on society's resources.  I am unable to adopt a child because my husband and I are considered high risk.  Why?  Basically they assume we are unhealthy and will die before the child is grown up.

I work 40 hours a week, am not on any "assistance", pay all my own bills and don't ask for or get any hand outs.  But I am considered less of a person because I am fat.  Amidst even the "body positive" people, I am still considered too big.  I guess all I have to say is FUCK YOU AND YOUR STANDARDS.



No comments:

Post a Comment