Thursday, August 16, 2012

Hawaiian Pineapple Pork

I don't really like to follow recipes so its a tad bit ironic that half my blog is devoted to recipes.  So I say, start here and create your own flavors.  I read a super simple recipe for Hawaiian Crock Pot Chicken that used a bottled sauce, chicken breast and pineapple.  I read the ingredients of the bottled sauce and instead of spending $6 for it, I made my own with things I already had on hand.

Hawaiian Pineapple Pork
3 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp garlic
1 can pineapple chunks
2-3 lb pork roast
In the Crock Pot, I mixed the sugar, soy sauce, broth, garlic and the juice from the can of pineapple.  I then added the frozen pork roast, poured the pineapple chunks on top and set my timer for 8 hours on low.  Serve over rice.

When I got home, the house smelled wonderful and I was so looking forward to dinner.  Unfortunately I felt the sauce on this was too thin.  I didn't play with it because I was hungry when I got home but here are some suggestions I have to make it better, and if you try it, let me know.

-reduce the chicken broth to 1 cup or less (I am always paranoid about stuff drying out)
-up the soy sauce to 1/2 cup
-use more pineapple juice

The pork makes juice of its own as it cooks and my sauce never thickened.  I have, in the past, used a slurry of corn starch and cold water to thicken.  It really works.  Just turn the crock pot to high and let it go for about 30 minutes.  I hope to update this recipe soon with maybe a picture but it really is hard to make stuff that comes out of the crock pot look appetizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment