Thursday, August 2, 2012

Italian Style Meatballs

We had planned on making homemade pizzas for dinner but Safeway was out of our preferred dough so I had to improvise.  I had pinned a recipe recently that turned out to just be a photo with a description for some meatballs.  I started there but ended up making them my own.

Italian Style Meatballs

4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon  black pepper
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
2 cups cracker crumbs (I used 1 sleeve of saltines)
3 lbs ground beef

Mix eggs, cheese, seasonings and crackers in a large bowl.















Add the ground beef and mix together with your hands, there is just no other way to do it.  (I used some gloves I took from work.) I used my largest scooper/disher and made balls that I rolled in my hand and then put them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
















A note about the Ground Beef:  We ground our own hamburger out of a top sirloin slab we got for a great price at Cash & Carry.  It tastes fantastic and has little to no fat in it. 

Bake the meatballs at 350 for 30 minutes of until cooked all the way through.  Mine were done in 30 but I left them in for about 35 so they got just a little browner.  This large batch made 35 large meatballs.  I served these as the main dish without sauce, just because we don't really like tomato sauce.



4 comments:

  1. will you make these when I am there? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course. I am thinking of making them with some mozzarella cheese in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy & easy! So, to grind your beef, do you just grind the top sirloin or add anything to it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just cut it into chunks, eliminating most of the fat, and ground it on its own. We will be experimenting with sausage making this winter though.

    ReplyDelete