Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Hello Kitty Tote Bag Tutorial

We got invited to a Hello Kitty Pool Party for  an awesome little girl who was turning 4 and I knew I wanted to make her something special.  I just recently have taken up sewing and while my first purse was not a complete fail, I would never give it to someone else.

I headed down to JoAnn Fabrics to see if they had any Hello Kitty material.  I got lucky in that the Character fabrics were 30% off that week.  I picked out a really sweet pink paisley print for the lining, some bias tape for the trim and webbing for the handles.  $70 and 2 hours later, I was headed home with tons of stuff.  I can really lose track of time in there.  So much to look at.

With the outside and lining fabric folded in half, I cut a 12" x 14" piece.  Technically, when unfolded, it would be 24" long.  I then cut one piece of interfacing to match.



I attached the interfacing to the lining fabric and pressed it right side in.  I did the same with the outside fabric.  I then stacked the lining and outside fabric on top of one another.  It should be interfacing, lining face up, lining face down, interfacing, outside face up, outside face down.



I stitched all the way up both sides and flipped it right side out.  You should have the lining inside and the outside where it needs to be with interfacing in between them.    I then took extra wide, double fold bias tape and slipped it over the top edge and pinned it in place.



I then ran a seam around the top edge, connecting the bias tape to the bag.  Now the bag has a cute trim top.



Next, I measured out the handle lengths, cut them and put fray stop on all the ends, just to make sure they didn't come apart. I then pinned the handle in place.  I first sewed a square around the edge of them to secure them, then came in and stitched an "x" across them for extra stability.



 And that's it, the bag is done.  I slipped in a few Hello Kitty items and it was off to the pool for us.

 Thanks to my sister for the use of her camera after mine died and also letting me use her house to do this project.

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you the receiver of the Hello Kitty bag loves it! She took it to pre-school and was telling everyone that Kristy mad her bag special just for her. Thanks Kristy! Keira loves it and it is even more special knowing that you made it just for her.

    ReplyDelete