Thursday, April 17, 2014

Button Craft Baby Gift

I made this super simple button craft as a gift for my cousin's Baby Shower.  The hardest part of this whole thing was finding the right color spray paint.
I must confess I am a button hoarder.  I just think they are so cool and there are tons of ideas on Pinterest for uses.  My sister made a really neat one of these for my nephew's wall.  She is much craftier than I am but I am happy with the results.  Here is how I did it.

Her nursery theme is Under The Sea Creatures so I first painted the entire canvas blue and let it dry.  Then I went over it with a lot of paint on my brush in a wave pattern.  It is a subtle pattern but effective.  I laid out the pattern in buttons so that I could make sure it would all fit right.  Then I searched for Lime Green spray paint.  We went to 3 different stores before my brilliant husband thought of the auto parts store.  So off to NAPA we went and low and behold, there it was, the perfect color, for an engine apparently.  So I set the buttons in a shoe box, painted one side, flipped them and painted the other.  I did 2 coats on each side.
The next part of the project was the longest.  I set the buttons back up in the shape and then sewed each one on the canvas.  My sister had done hers with glue and we discussed that sewing them on would be best.  I also found these really cute fish buttons at JoAnn's.
And here it is hanging next to the vinyl and wood sign my sister made. (See, I told you she was craftier!)

No comments:

Post a Comment