Tuesday, April 8, 2014

My Battle With My Rice Cooker

I've already told you about my love/hate relationship with my Crock Pot.  Another appliance that I have similar feelings for is my Rice Cooker.  I have mostly used Minute Rice my whole life.  It's easy, cheap and you can't screw it up.  And then the price of Minute Rice went from $4 a box to nearly $9.   We got a Rice Cooker for our wedding in 2005 and had used it a couple times but not consistently.  I pulled it out about a year ago and we started using Calrose rice.  My problem was, I could never get it right.  I love sticky rice but it's not appropriate for all meals.  So I set forth to make the perfect fluffy rice.  Here is what I found out.

1.  For my Rice Cooker a ratio of 1:1.25 is perfect for fluffy rice where the grains separate but are still cooked through.  (1 cup rice with 1-1/4 cups water)
2.  Wash your rice.  I take mine and put it in a mesh strainer, rub it against itself and the sides of the strainer until the water runs clear.  I use a lukewarm temp water.
3.  As soon as the lever flips to warm from cook, take off the lid, fluff the rice and turn off the machine.  I found if I left it in for too much longer, it got crispy on the bottom.

Do you have any pointers?  What other appliances do you have a love/hate relationship with?

No comments:

Post a Comment