Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Crock Pot Week, Day 3: Lasagna

One of my favorite foods is Lasagna.  How much better can a dish get?  Cheesy, meaty, creamy goodness on a plate.  My husband always gets on me for experimenting with our favorite meals.  "If the original is good, why mess with it?"  I didn't so much mess with my Lasagna as I did change it's mode of cooking.



Mom's Lasagna
2 lbs ground beef
1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 blocks of cream cheese
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 a box of Lasagna noodles
Brown the ground beef an drain any excess grease.  Combine the ground beef with the jar of tomato sauce.  Spray the crock with non-stick spray and put a spoonful of the tomato sauce mixture in the bottom.  Then place a layer of noodles followed by the tomato sauce mixture, 1/2 the parmesan, 1 block of cream cheese and 1 cup of the mozzarella.  Follow with another layer of noodles, sauce, parmesan, cream cheese and the remaining mozzarella.  Set the Crock-Pot on low and cook for 6 hours.


While the flavors were what they always are, I would not recommend lasagna cooked this way.  The noodles got a bit mushy, the cheese was rubbery and the meat seemed to dry out.  It was also very difficult to serve from the crock.  I encourage you to try this recipe but instead, bake it in the oven at 350 for about an hour or until its all bubbly and delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment